Five-O-Plus Worker : Support and Housing for over 50s
Your future workplace
Since opening our doors in 1982 to share a meal with the most vulnerable members of the community, we have evolved into an independent non-profit organisation renowned for effectively helping thousands of people experiencing homelessness to rebuild their lives. At the heart of everything we do, we recognise everybody is unique. No matter where people are in their journey, we are here to support them and we do not give up.
Every day of the year, Sacred Heart Mission (SHM) assist hundreds of people who are experiencing homelessness or living in poverty to find shelter, food, care and support. We are in this for the long haul - we are committed to making a sustainable difference in people’s lives. Everyone is welcome at our table.
Your new role
Our Five-O-Plus worker assists people over 50 years who are experiencing social isolation, health issues and homelessness. Working alongside a dynamic team, the worker provides assertive engagement, outreach and on-site engagement with clients who attend our Engagement Hub for meals. The overarching goal is to improve people’s health and housing status and help them negotiate access to the aged care service system.
A typical day involves meeting new clients, providing meaningful connection, support and assessment. You’ll have an opportunity to provide services, advocacy, housing support and help people settle into new properties. You will also work a day a week at the Engagement Hub to build professional relationships with the 200-250 people who attend for meals each day.
The person we're looking for
The successful candidate will:
- Have good communication skills who collaborates well as part of a team.
- Be able to work with complex clients
- Be able to develop care plans
- Be able to respond to crisis and challenging behaviours
- Have experience working in homelessness, mental health and community settings
- A current First aid certificate and CPR are essential. However, if you have not yet obtained the First aid certificate, don’t let this stop you from applying for this wonderful opportunity
The perks of the job
- A full-time role, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4.06 pm
- Making a difference for our most vulnerable
- Opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge
- Having a laugh with a supportive and professional team
- Being in a great St Kilda location, close to public transport and restaurants
- Salary packaging expenses like your rent, holiday accommodation and dining out: up to $15,990 pre-tax
- Access to in-house training
- Opportunity to purchase additional leave
- Ending your workday knowing you’ve made a difference
Come and Work with us
To join our team, simply scroll down and enter your details below.
Applications close: 5pm, Sunday 10 July 2022.
For more information about the role, contact Chris Middendorp on 0412229656
Shortlisting for this position will commence immediately, and the position may close earlier than stated if we have found suitable candidates.
SHM is committed to equal employment opportunities for all people regardless of age, gender, cultural background, disability, or sexual orientation. We recognise the strength and value in diversity, and actively foster an inclusive workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.