Kitchen and Laundry Assistant
Your future workplace
Every day of the year, Sacred Heart Mission (SHM) assists hundreds of people experiencing homelessness or disadvantages to find shelter, food, care and support. We are in this for the long haul - we are committed to making a sustainable difference in people's lives. Everyone, is welcome at our table.
Your new role
If you're looking for a role where no two days are the same, and you can make a difference, then this is the role for you!
Sacred Heart Community creates a home for life, providing security and safety for residents until the end of their lives.
In this dual role as Kitchen and Laundry Assistant you will work across the kitchen and laundry functions of our facility, gaining great training and experience in both areas.
In your kitchen duties, you will be providing residents’ with a dining experience which is one of welcome, safety and comfort, ensuring compliance with food safety regulations and a high standard of cleanliness of the kitchen and food service areas.
You will also have the opportunity to be trained in our facility's laundry procedures, maintaining effective laundry services.
You are free to work the hours that suit you! You will have the opportunity to choose from a range of shifts from Monday - Sunday servicing our residents at Sacred Heart Community in St Kilda.
Your day to day will include:
- Take care of residents’ dining experience is one of welcome, safety and comfort
- Ensuring residents’ individual dietary needs are met
- Ascertain paperwork related to food safety is maintained at all times
- Processing laundry according to procedures
- Monitoring the condition of residents clothing and notifying management if replacement clothing is required
- Ensure residents laundry is returned promptly and in a presentable manner
We're looking for
Experience in kitchen or laundry duties, will help you hit the ground running in this role, but it will ultimately be your initiative and enthusiasm which will allow you to thrive.
Whilst not a requirement, a Certificate II or III in Hospitality (Kitchen Operations) or Safe Food Handling and Manual Handling Certificates will help you succeed.
If you're looking to get your foot in the door, this is a great chance to grow your skills! If you do not currently hold a Certificate II or III in Hospitality (Kitchen Operations) or Safe Food Handling and Manual Handling Certificate, Sacred Heart Mission will support you to obtain it.
A high level of empathy and understanding for people from various backgrounds is crucial to your success.
Most importantly, you will need to be a clear communicator who can maintain a calm and upbeat manner throughout a busy workday. You will be someone, residents can chat with and feel comfortable around.
The perks of the job
- Completing your workday knowing you have made a meaningful difference to our resident’s lives
- Earn above SCHADS award hourly rates PLUS super!
- Salary package expenses like your rent, holiday accommodation and dining out: up to $15,990 pre-tax
- Work for one of Melbourne's most highly regarded not-for-profits with excellent career opportunities
- Help some of the most disadvantaged and most vulnerable people in our community
To join our team, simply scroll down and enter your details below.
For more information about the role, contact Margaret Thorpe, Facility Manager, 0438176693.
Shortlisting for this position will commence immediately, and the position may close earlier than stated if we have found suitable candidates.
Closing date for applications: 5 PM, Sunday, 26, June 2022